Similarities between Biblical and Muslim Cultures
BIBLICAL RELIGIOUS CUSTOMS
- Greeting of peace (Luke 10:5)
- Washing of hands and feet before worship (Exodus 40:31-32)
- Removal of shoes in God's presence (Exodus 3:5)
- Bowing prostrate in prayer (Psalm 95:6)
- Animal sacrifice (Passover) (Deuteronomy 16:1-6)
- Pilgrimage to Jerusalem (Acts 8:26-28)
- Women covering their heads during worship (I Corinthians 11:5-6)
- Circumcision (Luke 2:21)
- Offering a sacrifice for the first-born (Luke 2:24)
- Prolonged fasting (Exodus 34:28, I Kings 19:8, Matt. 4:2)
- Modesty and silence of women (1 Corinthians 14:34)
- Abstinence from pork (Leviticus 11:7)
- As-salamu alai kum (peace be unto you)
- Ablutions, "wudu"
- No shoes inside the mosque
- Prostrate during prayer, "sajda"
- Eid-ul Adha / Eid-ul Qurban, Feast of animal sacrifice
- Pilgrimage to Mecca, "hajj"
- Women wear head-covefing
- Circumcision, "khilan"
- Offering of sacrifice at birth of a child, "akika"
- Thirty-day fast during Ramadhan, "saum"
- Muslims abstain from eating pork
Answering Islam Home Page